Monday, April 28, 2014

That one time? In Paris?

I'm thinking we're going to have to break this into a few posts, and i'm thinking that since the Eiffel Tower is so iconic, it gets to be post number 1. And since it's what we did on day number 1, well, that makes even more sense.

After a 7.5 hour flight we arrived in Vincennes, the smaller town we stayed in that was 10 minute train ride outside of city.  Street markets, family friendly, real sense of local life...and after a week it became "our" bakery, and "our" flower stall.  At night, after being in the city all day, it was us and the locals taking the metro back "home."

Day 1 in Paris looked like this: Find Eiffel Tower.  Stare at long line.  Marvel at structure.  Walk to Rue Cler toting Rick Steve's guide, eat beautiful and colorful quiche at Cafe la Marche, because Rick Steve's recommended it, walk Champs Elysees, hope boyfriend will buy you Louis Vuitton purse (he won't, which you knew yet still hoped ) but he will buy you Laduree macarons (which are heaven and well worth the line) discover your new love of all things pistachio. Walk pedestrian tunnel to Arch de Triomphe.  Eat a macaron before you think about taking pictures (dumb), walk back to Eiffel Tower.  Sit on bench in garden below.  Sit there.  Sit there.  Wait for darkness.  Sit there.  Wait for more darkness so that it will sparkle.  Wonder (stress) what times the metro goes until, run to metro. Write in little travel diary all about your day (boyfriend will ask what you plan to do with this, yet he will insist you do that every night before you forget). Marvel. You're in Paris, my friend.

I loved that we discovered the Eiffel tower the way we did, not hovering above any other structure or seeing it from across the way, but sudden, and in full view.  I had read that the best views of the tower can be seen from the Trocadero, so we took the train to that exit and turned to find ourselves face to face with it. First the selfies, then the sillies.



 Seriously this thing is massive.
thecapeonthecorner.blogspot.com
thecapeonthecorner.blogspot.com

This traffic was crazy, and a pedestrian path is totally necessary.

thecapeonthecorner.blogspot.com





We didn't go to the top of the tower because what i really wanted was to have the tower actually in my pictures.  Sitting below the tower, watching it light up, was one of the top three things for me on this trip.  It was just that moment that makes it real, that you are on vacation, to somewhere new and exciting, crossing another spot off your bucket list. Know what i mean?

Share with me some of your "this is real" vacation moments, would ya?

sharing is caring: thrifty treasures @ southern hospitality, travel photo mondays @ travel photo discovery, places i've been @ the tablescaper,  travel photo thursdays@ budget travelers sandbox , Monthly projects @ Evolution of Style Make it Pretty Mon @ Dedicated House Throwback Thursday @ Sweet Pea, inspire me mondays and power of paint @ domestically speaking, inspire me mondays @ , Places I've Been @ The Tablescaper,  Before and After @ Thrifty Decor Chick,   Sundays @ Suburbs Mama  Mod Vintage Life, Motivate Me Mon @Keeping it Simple give me the goods @ rain on a tin roof, home stories a-z, nifty thrifty @ Coastal Charm, be inspired @ elizabeth and co, the scoop @ stone gable,  inspire me tues, lil luna, get your craft on, sugar bee crafts. inspire me weds @ 733, wow us weds @ savvy southern style,  work it weds @ the blissful bee, outdoor weds @ a southern daydreamer, whimsy wednesday, wicked awesome weds @ handy man, crafty woman,  whatever goes weds @ someday crafts charm of home,  open house @ no minimalist here, link party palooza @ tatertots and jello, Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring, open house @ no minimalist here, creativity unleashed @ shaken together,creative connection @ making home base,  inspiration gallery @ Craftberry Bush, Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest, my romantic home, jennifer rizzo, Weekend Bloggy Reading @ Serenity nowfurniture fridays @ mustard seed, Feathered Nest @ French Country Cottage, design it fridays @ finding fabulous, best diy @ 36th ave, thrifty things fri @ the thrifty grooveoverflowing w/ creativity @ it's overflowing, nifty thrifty sundays, under the table and dreaming. inspire me please @ liz marie blog,sunday best @ the girl creative  shaken together, seasonal sundays @ the tablescaper,   sunday soiree @ craftomaniac


37 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

My favorite place in Paris! I truly love the Eiffel Tower. Looking at it, standing below it, from the river or anywhere in Paris it just delights the eye. I enjoyed my trip to the top but totally get why you enjoyed being under it with the lights on. It was the true meaning of a dream come true for me!!
So happy to see your photos!
hugs, Linda

Lydia from Lydia's Flexitarian Kitchen said...

Nice photos! We used the Rick Steve's guides while travelling in Spain and Italy. Glad to know we can count on him when we get to France (which will happen, it I have to go alone!)

Chrissy @ Adventures in DIY said...

YAY! Trip pictures! These are awesome. And those macarons look yummy! (true confession - I've never had one!).

Anonymous said...

My husband and I went to Paris about a year and a half ago, and it was so amazing! I'm loving your pictures and dreaming of going back one day:)

House in the Heights said...

Love, love, LOVE these pictures! I'm so envious......someday!

Lisa said...

What a wonderful post! I haven't traveled outside of the US so I love seeing your pictures and hearing of our adventure :)

Shelly said...

We're supposed to go to Paris in July but plane tickets are SOOOO expensive, I'm rethinking our decision! :( We'll only have one week to travel but I've never been out of the country so I really want to! Thoughts?

Unknown said...

I had to come by from the Charm of HOme when I saw this photo - isn't it the most enchanting city?
For many years we stayed just around the corner from Rue Cler - so grabbed my breakfast ( tartine ) there every morning !
We used to go yearly sometimes twice a year for business and I miss it terribly!
What a beautiful post - with gorgeous photos !!!
XOXO

Helen's Decor said...

It's been ages since my husband and I were in Paris. Just as our tour bus pulled up to the Eiffel huge hail stones began falling. Sadly, we never were able to get off the bus. It is a lovely site to behold from many angles around the city.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Your pictures are gorgeous. It sounds like you had such a wonderful vacation and enjoyed every minute of it. I haven't been, but that bucket list is getting longer.

Angelina at Petite Haus said...

Lucky you! Paris is my favorite city in the world, thanks for sharing your trip. Sounds lovely!

Unknown said...

Love the optical illusion you created with the Eiffel Tower. My brother went to Paris last fall...he was surprised that the tower as smaller than he expected. I would love to go there someday!

Thanks for linking up to our Twirl and Take a Bow Party! Hope to see you again next week!

Linda said...

What fun! The Eiffel Tower is amazing. Paris is amazing! Love the bakery items too. Maybe just a little too much! Thanks for sharing.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

What a once in a lifetime trip! I went to Italy for my honeymoon and hoping to make that a twice in a lifetime trip!
Great pictures!!

Cristina Pop said...

I bet that was indeed a great vacation! The pictures are amazing and those macarons...yumm

Suz said...

Beautiful photos. I have a weakness for all things French.

Decor To Adore said...

I absolutely adore the Eiffel Tower. I feel as if I know it well after climbing the steps to the top versus taking the lift. But I only needed to do this once. :) Love your images.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I have never been to Paris and I had no idea the Eiffel Tower was that big! Your photos really gave me a perspective I had never seen before!

Rachel said...

I love the pictures of the tower all lit up! How beautiful! I have yet to try a macaron...they do look so pretty! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Bonnie said...

I LOVE your post. LOVE you Eiffel Tower pics. La Tour Eiffel at the blue hour!!!!! WOW! Perfect. I enjoyed all your pics. Wish we had read our Rick Steve book about best place to make pictures. I made a 100 or more and didn't get the shot I wanted. Maybe I will have another chance.
Laduree macaroons are beautiful and taste wonderful.

I am excited to view all your posts. Glad you had so much fun.

Morgan said...

Wow... That is so cool! I have never been to Paris, but it sounds amazing. You aren't kidding, that tower looks incredibly massive. I thought it would be smaller.
Your macarons look delicious! I want to eat one. :)
I am so jealous of your trip!

Diana Mieczan said...

I love Paris and your photos made me swoon:) Yes, there is something so magical about the Eiffel Tower...When we went to Paris last time, we just spent a whole day picnicking around it and chatting away with friends. Such a great spot. Kisses and have a lovely day. xo

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Lovely photos. I have spleen to see the Eiffel Tower in person too and it is amazing. Planning to go back in 2015.

Sarah said...

Enchanting! Everything about Paris makes my heart sing. I went to the top of the ET my first visit to Paris, since I've savored the view from various vantage points. Last time in Paris I went to the top of the Arch de Triomphe for the first time. Well worth the climb up the stairs, though a thunderstorm hit just as I walked out. ;-)
Thanks for sharing your photos. I'll be back for more.

Judy Pimperl said...

I came by via StoneGable: The Scoop. Just had to click on the post when I saw that beautiful photograph! Great post with even more pretty pics to see. Enjoyed it!
judypimperl.blogspot.com

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Wow, beautiful! Thanks for sharing this with us!

Anonymous said...

This post has me all kinds of emotional. I long to go back to Paris and visit my best friend, see all of these sites and do the things I didn't get to do. I unfortunately didn't see the Eiffel Tower up close at night, and I only vent to one side of it. I had in my mind the entire time leading up to my trip to go on both sides of it, but it slipped my mind as I was captivated by it's beauty. I will be back again!! Lovely post!

The Charm of Home said...

What great pictures! Thanks for sharing!
Sherry

Lady of the Manor said...

We've gotten to go to Paris, too, and you're right! The Eiffel Tower is awesome!! Thanks for posting these great photos. Great memories! Thanks, also, for the visit to my blog and the reassurance the plastic 'trash' won't hurt my lettuce plants! I'll be looking forward to your next posts from Paris!

Unknown said...

Looks like you had an amazing time. :) & you are right - that traffic looks crazy!

Christina Paul said...

How fabulous! Great photos! I absolutely love the shot with the hand holding the Eiffel Tower!
Is that the Laduree on Champs Elysees? We were in Paris last fall and stayed across from that shop- so much to do and Sadly we didn't get to half our to-see list - hopefully we'll be back!

Kristen said...

Love your eiffel tower pictures! You have excellent perspective on its enormity.

Jenn said...

Your photos are fabulous! I love your commentary, equal parts informative and entertaining :) There are so many places I'd like to visit, and Paris is pretty close to the top of the list.

Anonymous said...

I love these shots especially looking up at the full tower at night. I will be seeing it for the first time next month and my kids are so excited! Looks amazing.

Noel Morata said...

Fantastic highlights, now if I can only have a real sample of those delicious macaroons!

Unknown said...

Love your description of your day in grand Pareee! And yeah, the Eiffel tower is always gorgeous! (http://www.reflectionsenroute.com)

Curtains in My Tree said...

I can only imagine how fabulous your trip was
thanks for sharing the pictures for us who won't ever get to go