Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Go Big or Go Home garage wall

Usually the thought of how much flowers actually cost every year aggravates me. And so usually i get the cheapies, and then impatiently wait for them to grow in, and get mad at myself for having gone the cheap route.  This year, i told the boyfriend it was Go Big or Go Home for the pots on the wall, and i loooove the instant gratification of these zinnias all colorful and large, like they've been growing there for some time. 


I never liked the wrought iron scrolls that were on either side of the window, (remember when we de-scrolled the railings?) but needed something that took up a lot of space and helped with the whole "i'm staring at a cinder block wall of ugliness" since the boyfriend refuses to paint it and yet we do nothing about stucco except lament the cost.  These herb planters were a clearance find at the end of last summer, take up a lot of visual space, and modernize the wall as only geometrics can.




 And i'm excited about my basil.  Yeah, i got a lot of basil.  I got confused-i couldn't find lettuce, which i wanted for the window box, and i was in a rush.  So i got 2 different kinds of basil. Times two.  I am leaving the top 2 boxes empty because i can't reach to water them, so they're for decorative purposes only.  #shortgirlproblems.



I'm never sure what colors to go with for my annuals-do they all need to be the same color? Does that look too monochromatic or nicely cohesive? Is that boring or pleasing? My neurotic nature of second guessing loved the colorful blooms all in one plant.  Since i knew i was using the big black wall squares, i repainted the terracotta pots from lively spring green to the darkest free sample i could find, which is Valspar's English Tea Party. 



Here's the ol' cape from the font.  Nothing is in bloom yet, so right now it's lush and green.



 Except this.  What is this, and how did it get here?  Is it hydrangea?  Lilac?


It's pretty, but we'll have to move it to a less crowded spot.


We started work on the patio, since we have tons of free brick and figure we should put them to good use.  I don't really want more brick, but i'd rather not have to move the table and chairs to mow the lawn like we've been doing for years.  Plus, i can finally get a pretty outdoor rug.  The only problem is my neighbor's fence.  It's wonky. 


Perhaps this helps you understand.  For us to make the patio straight, it creates a weird triangle that is not ours, but is not being claimed by then.  We have looked at the property lines and have no idea why they made their fence like this. You can see the white stakes, marking the straight line.


You can sorta make out the string line which marks where the patio will go, and you can see how the fence narrows where our trash cans are.  This stressed my perfectionist darling out and he had a tough time figuring out how to make the patio look right for us and work somehow with the fence.


It took him 1.5 hours to dig out that grass on his own, but when i "helped" last night we got the rest of that half done in a half hour.  Which is interesting, as my "help" was handing him different shovels and loading the lighter pieces of sod into the wheelbarrow, but it clearly made a difference.


Mostly, though, i just took pictures.







What are you all planting this year?  Do you do a color scheme?  Did you know you were reading the blog of a neurotic person?  I think you actually might have known that already.




sharing is caring:  living savvy outdoor extravaganza, thrifty treasures @ southern hospitality, travel photo mondays @ travel photo discovery, places i've been @ the tablescaper,  travel photo thursdays@ budget travelers sandbox , Monthly projects @ Evolution of Style Make it Pretty Mon @ Dedicated House Throwback Thursday @ Sweet Pea, inspire me mondays and power of paint @ domestically speaking, Places I've Been @ The Tablescaper,  Before and After @ Thrifty Decor Chick,   Sundays @ Suburbs Mama  Mod Vintage Life, Motivate Me Mon @Keeping it Simple give me the goods @ rain on a tin roof, home stories a-z, nifty thrifty @ Coastal Charm, be inspired @ elizabeth and co, the scoop @ stone gable,  inspire me tues, lil luna, get your craft on, sugar bee crafts. inspire me weds @ 733, wow us weds @ savvy southern style,  work it weds @ the blissful bee, outdoor weds @ a southern daydreamer, whimsy wednesday, wicked awesome weds @ handy man, crafty woman,  whatever goes weds @ someday crafts charm of home, link party palooza @ tatertots and jello, Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring, open house @ no minimalist here, creativity unleashed @ shaken together,creative connection @ making home base,  inspiration gallery @ Craftberry Bush, Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest, my romantic home, jennifer rizzo, Weekend Bloggy Reading @ Serenity nowfurniture fridays @ mustard seed, Feathered Nest @ French Country Cottage, design it fridays @ finding fabulous, best diy @ 36th ave, overflowing w/ creativity @ it's overflowing, nifty thrifty sundays, under the table and dreaming. inspire me please @ liz marie blog,sunday best @ the girl creative  shaken together, seasonal sundays @ the tablescaper,   sunday soiree @ craftomaniac

38 comments:

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I love that you added interest to your yard by using the garage wall! Your home is so charming and everything looks lush and green. That's a funny thing about your neighbor's fence. I love a mix of flower colors, it gives a very soft cottagy feel. My strategy to minimize the amount I spend each year is to use annuals in the pots, but perennials in all the beds. Can't wait to watch your garden unfold over the summer!

Brandi said...

I love your garden wall. And how cute is your little window.

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

That wall looks amazing! I love the square planters... so more your style! I am laughing about the sod... the hubs and I do the same thing. You know you can rent a sod cutter for like $50 and it will take you about $25 min? Just a thought... I would totally use up that space with flowers off the patio! If they don't want it oh well! Thanks for linking up!

Dawn @ Inspired Living said...

I really love the planters on your wall; and every year I buy at least 4 basil plants and use it all. No worries you can at least make some pesto. As for the no mans land area, I agree with Tiffany and think you should dig up the sod and make it a cutting garden or something nice and green!

Dawn @ Inspired Living said...

I really love the planters on your wall; and every year I buy at least 4 basil plants and use it all. No worries you can at least make some pesto. As for the no mans land area, I agree with Tiffany and think you should dig up the sod and make it a cutting garden or something nice and green!

Dawn @ Inspired Living said...

Oh and I forgot to mention I just purchased an outdoor rug from Frontgate and was really happy with the quality / price / selection.

Artsy VaVa said...

I love the plants on the wall! If you have more basil than you need, you can freeze it and have it in the winter.

Anonymous said...

The mystery plant appears to be phlox. There is a tall phlox and one that is ground cover. You might google images for phlox. That may help identify the plant.

Firefly said...

Those planters on thge wall look great. I hate to buy annuals because I'm cheap and I want the plants to last for years. If you want something that is annual and give you a quickly grown in look mix sweet potato vines in those tiny boxes or other trailing plants. Mint always comes back for me except this Artic winter killed it finally after 5 years. Just keep it in a pot so it doesn't take over the whole yard. Plus side... Mojitos! Plants what you want in that spot clearly they don't care what that patch looks like since they gave it visually to you.

Babs said...

Your garage wall looks great and you sound like you're really enjoying gardening. I think the bluish flowered plant is a phlox. The color is really pretty. I have some white phlox and keep thinking of getting some blue. I really don't have a plan in mind when it comes to color...except this year it's hot colors on the deck and a hodge-podge in the garden. Sort of odds and ends and volunteers. Happy Gardening.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I really like how those planters look on the wall! Great flowers and your yard is looking so pretty. I need some major time to work on my patio and get some container planters going.

Hugs, Linda

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

Such pretty additions! The mystery plant looks a little bit like Plumbago - but may be phlox??? Don't think it's a hydrangea. Whatever it is, it's gorgeous!
And I think the basil addition is wonderful too. I can never have enough of that herb!

Light and Voices said...

I enjoyed the cyber tour of your garden. The wall plants look fantastic!
JM Illinois

Unknown said...

Love the herb planters on the wall!
Great idea to add interest to a large boring garage wall!

Shanice Bannis said...

Looks fantastic! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party.

R's Rue said...

So lovely!
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Emily said...

I love the idea of adding some flowers to the side of the garage. It will look adorable, and a great focal point to have with the table right there too

Emily- Our house now a home

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Your garden wall looks so nice! I looove curb appeal, even in the back. It excites me to enter a home when it looks as pretty as yours.

Lana's LIfe said...

LOVE your landscaping on the ground and on the walls! What a great way to brighten up an otherwise dull spot in your yard. YOur purple flower is not a lilac or a hydrangea. I should have looked through the other comments to see what other guesses were offered. It might be Phlox. I need you to pack your bags and head west to NW Indiana so you can help me get my yard and gardens back on track!

Unknown said...

I love how this turned out! Isn't it amazing the difference landscaping makes? I love adding colorful flowers to our landscaping each year.

Chrissy @ Adventures in DIY said...

Your garden/garage wall is so cute!

Fishtail Cottage said...

these are so great! would love to have you share over here at the garden party this week! xoxo,tracie

Taryn @ Design, Dining + Diapers said...

What a stunning and charming little space! I love what you did it looks beautiful!

Pearl Maple said...

great ideas you have going on there to pretty up your garden, it will be bursting with color in no time at all

Kim said...

Your yard looks great!
And I can totally identify with the "weird triangle" dilemma. It would drive me nuts too!
Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)
Kim @ pinspiredhome.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love the interest and design that you added to the wall. Well Done!

Unknown said...

Wow, that wall looks amazing! Love the story about the basil x 2 and I can definitely relate to short girl problems, lol. Thanks for sharing at The Makers! Pinned :)

Janet said...

Like those geometric planters! Trying to figure out where to plant my herbs, too many shady places. This could definitely help. Came from Tutorials and Tips

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love this idea, your yard is looking so good. The garage wall is such a fabulous idea. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me

chateau chic said...

Your garage wall looks fabulous!!! What a statement you have going on there with your wonderful additions. I know you're going to love having a patio in your backyard.
Thank you so much for the visit.
Mary Alice

Unknown said...

Your garage wall looks lovely.
Beautiful garden filled with color you have there.

Pat said...

Cape on the corner,
WoW!!!
What an amazing wall of color!!!
Most years, "Mr. Ed" and I have stayed true to greens, white, soft buttery yellows with a hint of purple in the Gardens On Crooked Creektt. This year we've added a bit more of the coral pinks to our blend. Lovin' the contrast!!!
Thanks for your sweet comment and visit. . .and I think your "milkglass" collection would be amazing on display!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Love the use of your wall for the planters! I'm featuring it in my Friday Features. Thanks for linking up to Inspire Me Monday.

Unknown said...

Ha! Looks like Maryann beat me to it! I too chose you as a feature from this week's Inspire me Monday party! Thanks for linking it up. We appreciate it! Love the garden wall!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Hanging the plants on the wall is a wonderful idea! Your brick patio will look great when it is finished.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope you visit again soon.
Penny

Kayla @ Home Coming said...

This is such a great idea! I love it so much, you're being featured on The DIY'ers today! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-diyers-link-party-new-and-improved-2.html

Unknown said...

I love your garage wall. But how do you attach the pots to the cinder blocks?