Monday, April 12, 2010

what the heck, hostas?!

For the time being, until we stucco, I have to look at this mammoth garage of cinderblock wall. Last summer i tried to pretty it up with pots and iron nonsense hanging on the walls, and a little flower bed. The soffeting creates a shaded area so i thought who loves shade better than hosta. So i planted 4, count them, 4 hosta. Yet why do we only see this.......?




what the heck, hosta?!

I discovered, thank goodness, that the others were there yet WAAAY further behind. Now i know they are different kinds, but they were all planted at the same time, at the same "height" or stage or whatever in their growth last year. They all recieve the same amount of sunlight.



Two are like this-




So what is the deal? I wish i knew which kind this one was, it's really pretty. i thought they were supposed to multiply at the rate of bunnies... I want more of this one, so let's hop to it.

Let's talk about the garden gnomes for a moment, do you mind? I had to have these, they are actually cute! That guy above has a suitcase with world stamps on it. He's a little traveler like me. I honestly fear someone walking by will steal him. Unlikely, but still, i worry.

Oh, and the pots are empty b/c i am waiting til i come back from vacation to plant, so my garden right now is lookin' pretty scarce. what do you guys usually plant in containers? can i do a perennial in them?

8 comments:

C'est La Vie said...

haha that's funny!
and that's a cute idea to hang the pots

vignette design said...

Oh hey, it's me again. About the bamboo shades. I do lower them when the sun is beating in or I want that cozy feeling. I actually like the look of them up. It gives the room a finished look. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment!

Anne said...

I wish I could successfully grow hostas...but where I come from, the summer heat is a killer!

alissa {33shadesofgreen} said...

Funny about the hosta! The big one just must be an earlier variety? Hope the others catch up soon.

Thanks for stopping by and for your comment. The jewelry holder is an old post of mine - it's just hidden back @ the beginning of my blog!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

I just transplanted several hostas today. Next year you can divide them so you have more plants. Hostas don't like full sun but they will thrive in the shade. Thanks for your visit and comment on the Easter parade.

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

I'd love to plant some hostas but all I have is full sun. Booo

Katie said...

I am impressed. I can't keep any plants alive...ever. I am amazed my boys are still alive.

Allison Shops said...

I love hostas and had many at our last home. I usually plant one mixed with other white/green plants on the back veranda for the summer. Deer would eat in the yard!

I don't know if you misunderstood my sentence about "not" just dropping the plastic pot into the container, or I misunderstood you - I read it as you DO take yours out of the plastic container and transplant. I think they love the extra soil and moisture - and do SO much better out of the plastic!

Thanks for dropping by AtticMag. Hope to see you again soon!

Allison