Monday, January 31, 2011

Color color color color color chameleon

For pretty much three years we have downright ignored the upstairs, figuring who is seeing it but us.  Then for my birthday (october) i bought the paint, hoping the boyfriend would paint it as my gift.  He didn't. For Xmas, he got me a wall mounted mirror/jewelry holder which was not being hung til we painted.  So we (he) painted. Now my bedroom is the restful, relaxing space i always knew it could be. 

The paint is Tinsmith, by Sherwin Williams....it is a wonderful gray/blue that really changes with the light.  It is a color chameleon, which is why you will now have Boy George stuck in your head.  Sorry 'bout that!




I love the gold shimmer geometric pattern in the curtains.


This is probably the truest shot of the color.


 The carpet that is staying-at first i brought out the maroons and golds, but after seeing so many retreat like bedrooms via blogs, i wondered if i couldn't bring out the blues instead. I think it works.


That's the catalyst for the painting, that mirror.  Killing two birds with one stone, it houses my dangly necklaces and allows me to see them all nicely (without worrying my cat is eating all the beads) and of course it provides a full length mirror. This is a CSN buy, with no code or no winnings, and i have to say it is sturdy and gorgeous.  They also price matched it with no problem because i found it cheaper somewhere else.  I like my little art corner highlighting free vase.


You can see the difference in color from these pics above and below...the top one looker grayer, and the bottom bluer.  Chameleon like.  Yard sale bird pillows pair maroon and blue.


Ha, this picture is so me.  I like "the finer things" sometimes, and the arts, but then i kick it in my Vans.


Pretty calming to the eye After/ Harsh and jarring Before


 The cream and gold furniture looks even worse against the painted wall, but bedroom sets are expensive, you guys! Where have you gotten yours?   It's funny to see how our tastes change with the influence of others, don't you think??

 made it 4 monday/ amaze me mondays, craft-o-maniac monday, It's a blog party, diy showoff, just something i whipped up monday, metamorphosis monday, motivate me monday, making the world cuter, polly want a crafter, market yourself monday, its so very creative, before and after party, anything related, take a look tuesday, tabletop tuesday, transform tuesday,  todays creative blog, show and tell, make it yours day, penny pinching party, sugar and spice, whatever goes wednesday idea sharin' wedsnesday, look what i made, hooking up with hohstrut your stuff, transformation thursday, get your craft on, everything but the kitchen sink, favorite things friday, show and tell friday, show and share day, flaunt it friday, frugalicious friday, be inspired, feature yourself friday, the shabby nest, fun to craftfabulous friday finds, 100 Ideas under $100, along for the ride, show off sunday, sunday showcase party, not baaaad sundays, A Round Tuit, seasonal sunday, sister sister sundays,  monthly open house, thrifty treasures, nifty thrifty tuesdays,trash 2 treasure, twice owned tuesday, tales from bloggeritaville, crazy cute, junkin' finds, i'm topsy turvy, creative share, theme party thursday, catch as catch can, free for all fri , all things good, boring to better, remodelaholic, power of paint, my style evolution

61 comments:

Lisa said...

What a difference! This looks great! So calming and relaxing! I love it!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love that color! (and yes thank you for Boy George singing in my head). What a big change. Love that mirror/jewelry holder! It looks very sophisticated!

Kara said...

Love this!! What a difference it makes!!!

Firefly said...

I love that color it is fabulous. I don't do alot of matching to things but pretty much everything but my walls are neutral. I went crazy with color. We got our bedroom set at just cabinets, I know you have heard of it, because we live pretty close. Expensive yes but notseel my soul expensive and it was the first furniture we ever bought. Hope you have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Love that color....we're getting ready to do something similar in our master. Great job!

Carolynn said...

Color made such a dramatic change! So calming! Love it! IKEA is a good place to get nice dressers & side tables and at good prices. Even some of the furniture at Target is nice. So many people ask where I got my coffee table & end tables in my living room....from Target 6 years ago and going strong :)! Good luck with the next batch of yucky weather! Is it Spring yet?

agreenearth said...

Your new room is just beautiful.

Reunion Committee said...

I love it! It was "genie in a bootle" and now it's grown up sophisticated!! :) ok wait that wasnt a bust on the old room.. I swear! :)
Tana

The Single Nester said...

Really lovely color. I was just at Lowe's picking up some blue gray paint samples for a future project.

Unknown said...

I love the color you put on the walls. I am loving the pale blue/greys right now. Gotta love that new lamp too!

Paula@SweetPea said...

I am definitely singing that Boy George song in my heard now. I love the color that you chose. It's definitely a restful color for a bedroom.

Karie said...

Oooo! I love the color of the walls. My kind fo color. I like the little silver lamp. It is daring. You did a great job re-doing the room. I agree it is very restful. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Karie

Anne said...

What a relaxing room to end your day in...plus, I'm digging those lamps!!!

fawndear said...

Love it! I used almost the same color in my front room. So peaceful and serene. You guys did a fabulous job.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

What a fab Before and After!! The new color scheme is so calming and serene. Great job!! :) (PS. I have read Jemima J--loved that one!)

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

my bedroom was this color as a kid.

love the difference it makes!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

What a great transformation! Your bedroom is now so fresh and serene. Great job.

Laura said...

That lamp is amazing!! What a gorgeous space. It looks so calming and relaxing. Great job!

Comeca Jones said...

Love the lamp in the updated version!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Beautiful. All of your changes are wonderful. Such a lovely and inviting room. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Anonymous said...

great color! that just might be the color I go with for my entryway--i've been eyeing up Sherwin Williams 'Icicle' but this Tinsmith might be the richer color I'm going for. Thanks for sharing- good job!!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

What a difference paint can make. Wow, love that color, so warm and cozy. The entire room looks so much better!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

What a beautiful paint color...and I LOVE that lamp! :-) Hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Rachel said...

I love that color!! It is so nice and calming! Your curtains and lamps are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Such a calm, restful, pretty room. That wall color made all the difference, and I love how you had so many colors to bring out in that rug. Very nice indeed!

. said...

Love the new calming look!! The new colors are so relaxing!!

As far as bedroom furniture...I got mine on Craigslist. I highly recommend scanning CL every day once you have a budget set. I paid $600 for 5 pieces of Broyhill! That's a fabulous price for good quality stuff. :)

Erin Wallace said...

Wow! This is gorgeous! And such a change from before - a remarkable transformation.

Michell @ Girl In Air said...

Awesome! I'm doing a bedroom makeover too! NEw follower!

Inspired2cook said...

Love your new room! Great job!!!
http://www.inspired2cook.com

Devonay said...

Huge difference! I love it! The color is beautiful, and yes, now I have that song stuck in my head. Your room definitely looks like a calm retreat. Good job!

Karie said...

Hi, Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your sweet comment. Hope to see you again. Hugs, Karie

Oona Johnson said...

Wow, the after looks amazing! Sooooo much better than the before. For sures. I love the drapes you picked out.

Our furniture is a mix of antiques and Ikea - my favorite way to decorate. Can you paint your existing furniture? The side tables would look amazing in black.

Maggie Lamarre said...

I'm inviting you to come to my house next :)
Don't forget to link it in our linking party this week.

http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/02/fun-ideas-for-valentine-day-2011be.html

Maggie

Lindy said...

I love this room. The color is wonderful -- just the right amount of blue. I've got rooms that change color as well which is kind of nice. I love the art and the arrangement on each side of the bed. Very nice!

Free Art Printables said...

I love your wall color! The room is so peaceful and restful! Thanks for joining in on the party!

Jenna said...

Great before and after! Why don't you just paint your nightstands? Painted furniture is so "in" right now, not to mention cheap!

2027

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Love the paint color and love how it changes color with the light, I've already written it down, love the before and after of your bedroom! So nice and peaceful looking!

Nita Stacy said...

So much better! I love it.

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

I love every little detail!

Sue @ Beach Bungalow
xo

Josiah's Mom said...

Love the new colors! Calming is right :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I really like the wall color and I'm loving the mirror. I lvoe that everything is hidden away but easily accessible.

Susan said...

I may have missed it, but where did you get the wall mounted mirror/jewelry holder?? What a cool thing!

Barbara said...

I just love that color! It is so soothing and restful and just makes me happy. I see painting in my future! Thank you for the inspiration!

Barbara

Erin said...

Your bedroom is definitely relaxing now! My sister is in the middle of redoing her house and I'll have to mention this paint color to her. Oh, and where is your mercury glass lamp from? LOVE it!

The Pennington Point said...

I really like the change. I started taking out the darker colors a few years ago and I am so happy I did. Time to move on. I love that you can still use the rug. Great job! Lisa~

Karen said...

What a change! It looks like you had your work cut out for you with all the angles in the room, but I'm sure it's all worth it every morning when you wake up in that peaceful space.

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

Bee u tee full!!! What a wonderful color for a bedroom!

Love Of Quilts said...

Pretty color....I liked it so well that I think you should have painted the ceiling that color to
....curtains are a prefect match. Trish

paige renee said...

Blue/gray paint is my favorite and looks incredible in your room. So pretty! I also enjoyed the Boy George reference. :)

Noelle @ Mesa AZ Photography said...

I really love the end result. That is a fabulous color. (I'm a big fan of grey anything.)

As far as the patterns in her bedroom: I never bought a bedroom set. None of them had the colors I needed without adding a ton that I didn't want. So I registered for pink sheets, one with a flower print and one solid. I bought a light light pink bumper pad that is made out of that awesome minky stuff with the dots. My mom is making a quilt out of many colors all in 30s and 40s bright patterns. This description makes it sound awful, but so far I really like it.

I will do another post about the decor in her room when it is up.

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

I love your new bedroom look! It's so fresh! Angie xo

Jill said...

Looks great! I love that carpet! and I assume the mirror is a mini cupboard too for your dangly necklaces! How cool!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit this week!
Hope you have a great weekend!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

DANA said...

That is beautiful! Great colors! If you have not been by yet, I would love for you to come link up! Every month the best link gets prizes!

http://www.thesaturdaymorningsblog.com/2011/02/strut-your-stuff-for-february-round-2.html

Unknown said...

What a fantastic difference! I love the color transformation :) I'm a new follower.

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Oh what a lovely transformation! I need to re-do my bedroom. Thanks so much for linking up to my Open House and if you didn't leave a comment, be sure to if you want to be eligible for the giveaway!

Danina said...

It looks very good. Love the color

Melissa said...

Karma karma karma chameleon...it is in my head now! LOVE those lamps and the vans in the corner :)

Jena @ Involving Color and Home said...

Great color! I'd love to add this to the inspiration galleries on my site and include you in a feature post. Let me know if you're interested!

rachel @ Just a Touch of Gray said...

Such a great transformation! I love the new paint color, the curtains, and that lamp!! You guys must be so happy in your new space! I'm so glad you joined Roomspiration today!

Carrie said...

Blue is my go-to soothing color, love yours! You are inspiring me to re-do my master bedroom. Thanks for linking up to Making Lemonade, and may 2012 be full of wonderful things for you and your blog!

two birds said...

what a great space! i love that silver lamp...it's such a great accessory in the room!